Friday, June 5, 2015

Lovego weekly report--An interview with Laura, a young woman with COPD

LoveGo, Go Along With Love!
Your Second Doctor

Weekly report

An interview with Laura, a young woman with COPD



The interview is not generated by us, but after reading the part, we think there are many similar stories within us like Laura, as being young with COPD, learning how to cope with it step by step, changing many things in life to face what has been brought, and surely, it will teach us something above living, about living better. 

With brown waist-length hair, smooth skin, and happy eyes, Laura doesn't look her age. At first glance you'd think she's a very young, healthy 48, but her lungs tell a different story. Laura has severe COPD. Her taking on being Young with COPD might surprise you; it might make you laugh or cry, but without a doubt it will teach you something about living.

Q: How old were you when you were diagnosed with COPD?
A: I was 47.


Q: Did you know what COPD was?
A: Not at all.

Q: What were your very first thoughts?
A: I have what? Now what? Quit smoking and work out a lot? Surgery?

Q: Did you go through a period of denial, thinking, "There must be some mistake."
A: Not so much, because I had known for a while (a few years) that something wasn't right with my breathing and coughing. I knew, from watching everyone around me not having any difficulty like I did in some situations, that I was hurting.

Q: Okay, but why did you not seek help earlier? What kept you from that?
A: Honestly, I thought it was from smoking and being around nasty chemicals, and that once I would give up smoking and exercise more, it would go away. And I didn't want to take time to go to the doctor or take medicine.

Q: What finally brought you to the doctor?
A: My coughing a lot and not speaking very well (I was out of breath so fast). I would take a shower and end up coughing when I got out to dry myself, and when eating dairy products the phlegm would build up almost instantly. I would cough so hard I would have to have a pad on (so much for my hysterectomy!) I have to now wear granny undies when I go away or if I drink beer.

Q: How do your kids feel about you having COPD?
A: My children are adults. At first I assumed they'd take it in stride - think I'd just be strong and deal with it. And I do. Really, they're sad and angry. But they're learning to help out more now and see that I'm okay. They think I'm fragile - and way too young. They're liking that I'm home and not working all the hours I used to work. They're gradually adjusting to this slower mom.

Q: How about your husband?
A: (She smiles and laughs.) He still loves me so far! He didn't expect this and is slowly adjusting to it. He's glad we found out when we did and can stall it, hopefully. He thinks it's a good thing that it finally made me stop smoking. He's only 37, so I thought it would be hard because I don't participate in a lot of things we did five years ago when we got married. But he's dealing with it and trying to make it the best he can for both of us... and he says that no matter what... I'm still his bride!

Q: What has been the worst thing so far about having COPD?
A: My regular doctor has not been helpful, and Social Security has been a huge hassle. I have worked hard and long hours in factories for 30 years, raised two children, and have never had help. Now I need some help. My insurance has been tough. The bill for my medicines each month (with insurance) is around $125 - and I do holler!

Q: If you knew then what you know now, do you wish you were diagnosed earlier?
A: Most definitely! I HATE being on all this medicine, giving me my first couple of grey hairs I just found this month. But without it I would be a lot worse and not able to do much of anything. I was one of those people who did not even like using aspirin.

Q: What has been the most helpful thing so far?
A: Truthfully, it was going to pulmonary rehab! I learned a lot of new things I didn't know before and that was a blessing. I learned what my [pulmonary function] percent actually was (severe). I learned how to breathe through my nose to filter and warm up my air before it hits my lungs. I learned to do things in sections - not all at once - so I can still accomplish things.

Q: What do you say to yourself when you get discouraged?
A: STOP having a pity party, woman! A lot of people are way worse off than you are! Then I usually am okay with it. But once in awhile I have a beer break when I get too down. I love beer and I loved smokes, and I had to give one up. Then in the morning I think that was dumb, and I'm usually good for quite a while.

Q: What have you learned about yourself? Has anything good come out of this?
A: I learned to cook.
  • My hubby quit smoking too. He also, as I did, works in paint fumes, and grinding steel. 
  • I have learned to understand the saying, "Take time to smell the roses," but this is still not the way I had planned to retire. 
  • I'm slowly cleaning out the house (I'm a pack rat). 
  • I love having the time for outside walks. So what if just around the block? 
  • I'm taking more time outs for just ME - hot baths, etc. 
  • I have time to read books! 
  • I drink lots of water. 
  • I'm learning to have a lot more patience on a day-to-day basis. It's okay to let things wait ‘til tomorrow. 
  • I'm planning way ahead now for any trips - even little ones. 
  • I'm grateful I found out before needing oxygen tank. 
  • Finding out young made me slow down sooner and enjoy life instead of being caught in the rat race. 
  • I took the time to carve a pumpkin this year (the last time was about 10 years ago). 
  • I'm learning to find all I can to keep ahead of this - so maybe I can see 80. 


Email: service@oxygencare.cn Tel: 400 6677 247/075523733851

Lovego Service
Toll free: 400-6677-247
Tel:86-0755-23733851

Add: Building B, LC Hi-tech Park, Longhua District, Shenzhen, China

No comments:

Post a Comment